Friday, October 2, 2009

The Cognative Behavioural Therapy Journey

I am in therapy. I know that this is common for many of you in urban centers but in the blue collar town where I live, laden with senior citizens and conservative views this is not something you talk about in public. The thing is that I have had to take time off from my work as a school chaplain, and so it feels like everyone I know is aware that I am mentally ill. I am so embarrassed and ashamed just typing it. I have Depression and Anxiety Disorder as a result of Post-Traumatic stress. So says my therapist and psychiatrist. But in my mind I still believe that I am just to weak to handle the things that life throws at me and that is why I am trying C.B.T. It is supposed to help me change how I think... about the world, about myself, about how others see me. I am just at the beginning of this journey now(about a month in) and I am still pretty scared that I may never get better. But I am determined that I will not allow it to get any worse and so I keep putting one foot in front of the other, keeping a journal, using affirmations, taking my medications, exercising and trying to enjoy life in the moment. This is where I hope to chronicle the successes and the setbacks and maybe find some peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment